The Tour of Britain cycle race will pass through Alnwick town centre on Monday 9th September. This will be a massive event in the town and will attract a large number of spectators and national TV coverage. The route into town will be up The Peth, along Narrowgate and Bondgate Within, then though The Hotspur Tower leaving the town down Alnmouth Road on their way to Warkworth.
To support the event Alnwick Town Council have decided to run a shop window competition for retailers in the town.
The competition is to dress shop windows in an appropriate way to reflect the Tour of Britain cycle race. This could be using the Northumberland colours of red and yellow, Alnwick Town colours of blue and yellow or an alternative display of your choice. The first prize for the best window display will be £100 and two tickets to the start line in Berwick-upon-Tweed on the 9th September. There will also be two other cash prizes of £50 and £25 for 2nd and 3rd place.
Windows will be judged by the Mayor on September 2nd 2019 and winners will notified on the same day.
We hope as many people as possible are able to join in the fun and make Alnwick a real highlight for the riders, visitors and TV cameras.
Tour of Britain other ideas:
- Restaurants and cafes could do a special Tour of Britain menu
- Bakeries could produce bicycle shaped cakes and biscuits
- Shops could have special race day or race week offers
- You could join in the festivities by displaying Tour of Britain posters, put up bunting and flags and generally helping to create a street party atmosphere
- Get a bike and decorate it in all sorts of colours outside your shop / business
- Create bike related floral displays along the route
- Come up with another way of making your business stand out amongst the crowds and on the TV
A previous entry in the Tour of Britain window dressing competition